Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Creativity Down the Drain

Since I have no new work today, I've spent the morning "sharpening my mind." In Sunday's paper, Goshen has a whole bunch of word puzzles/games and I love those things. And, after way longer than I would like to admit, I finally solved the first one... a thingy on writing. The quote saddens me. Mostly because it's true:

"Russia, France Germany and China. They revere their writers. America is still a frontier country that almost shudders at the idea of creative expression." - Novelist James. A Michener (who, by the way, recently passed away)

At the writing boards I visit, we frequently discuss how people look at us when we introduce ourselves as a "freelance writer." Not to mention the stupid questions they ask or the way they assume that we aren't doing anything because we "work from home." Thank goodness I live with Melody. She's one of my only friends who understands that I do, indeed, have a job.

Now, I'm off to query magazines and apply for new jobs. Hurray!

No comments: