Thursday, July 17, 2008

Prince Charming?

It seems that when one friend starts having boy-problems, they all start having boy problems. Yesterday, while I was informing my boyfriend that he's a jerk sometimes, I had a flash back to my freshman year of college.

The roommate, Melissa, and I had recently received one of those sappy emails that people send out all the time for whatever unknown purpose. In it, there was the line about how the right boy will never make you cry. We crossed that line out because neither of us believe it. "If he doesn't make you cry," we wonder, "Do you really love him?"

Today, while going through my papers looking for something else, I stumbled across a quote from a (different) former roommate, "Write something about searching for the world's Prince Charming, but he doesn't exist. And when you find one pretty close, he's an alcoholic."

Neither of us knew then that she was pretty much telling her story.

Makes me wonder: what happens to us as we grow up? Do we just give up? Do we think that we should take the first person that comes along? What happens to dreams of Prince Charming? How do we get those back?

Last night, the current roommate and I were discussing how, essentially, you get what you look for. It's heart-breaking when your truth stares you in the face.

No comments: