Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Love Actually... focus on Collin

All right, I love this movie. I just adore it. One of the things I love about it is the amazing number of characters available to love.

Now, I decided to focus on Collin, who calls himself "Collin, God of Sex... I'm just on the wrong continent, that's all."

Poor guy, he just always chooses the wrong girl. He's awkward, and he just doesn't quite have what it takes to charm the British girls.

For instance, in the beginning of the movie, at Peter and Juliette's wedding reception, he is doing a fantastic job trying to convince people to eat it, "Taste explosion?"
But then, he crosses the path of the woman who made it. "Looks like a Dead Baby's Finger. Eww... tastes like one, too." Not exactly the best way to make a good impression, is it?

Collin is always hopeful. I love that about him. After buying his ticket to "a fantastic place called 'Wisconsin,'" He reminds his friend, "You know that any bar, anywhere in America, contains ten girls more beautiful, and more likely to have sex with me, than anywhere in the whole of the United Kingdom." Well, clearly, he's just in it for the possibility of sex, but the thing is, whether he really knows it or not: American girls go gaga over guys with British accents. We do. It's true.
(Happy sigh)

Of course, the way the girls are all over him in the bar isn't exactly true, either. It's simply how foreigners see American Girls: easy sluts. Or at the very least, easy.

Even so, I must admit that I'm glad for Collin's sake that he finally gets the girl. And I love that he brings back a girl for his friend. Even though his friend doubted him.

4 comments:

Melody said...

Yes, I love the last bit when the girl runs up and hugs the oh-so-suprised friend. Cracks me up every time.

Melody said...

The bit about those girls making him repeat every single word is right on, though...you know it is.

Robin Marie said...

yes, the repeating part is oh, so true. But it's fun!

Melody said...

Bit over-due for a blog post, aren't we?